Moving in to a new place when you have pets can be quite daunting, especially since there are a limited number of buildings that allow for such type of living arrangement. When it comes to finding condos or coops for lease or sale, there are a few important things to remember in order to make the move as seamless and hassle free as possible.
Below are some guidelines for those in the market for pet friendly apartment buildings:
- Make a Shortlist of Your Choices- While big cities such as New York do have a significant number of buildings, it is recommended that you make a list of the top choices (maximum of 5 potential properties) that can provide for your living requirements as well as that of your beloved pets.
- Know All the Pet Habitation Rules by Heart- Each place has its own set of rules regarding pets, as to whether or not they are allowed in the premises as well as the number of pets allowed per tenant/home owner. In most cases, condos also have strict policies on the size of the pets that are allowed to reside in the building, especially when it comes to dogs. In addition, some types of animals are not allowed as pets such as reptiles, certain breeds of birds, and large creatures that are bound to cause too much disturbance in the premises. Being aware of all the rules and regulations of the building you wish to reside in would make the process of choosing the right place is much easier.
- Consider the Location- Pet owners are known for being staunchly vigilant when it comes to their companions’ well being, which means there is a need to consider the location of the building and its proximity to the animal hospital and/or veterinarian’s clinic and pet shops.
- Compare Lease Rates/Sale Prices and Other Fees- Whether you are leasing a or buying one outright, there are certain fees that pet owners need to keep up with. With this in mind, you might want to compare fees rates before deciding. It is important to remember that permanent fixtures such as wood floors and wallpaper tend to be more resilient and are therefore much more expensive. This can seriously inflate the sale or lease price of the place as well as the fees for the upkeep of the building.
- Enlist the Aid of an Experienced Real Estate Agent- Finding the right place to stay can be challenging for some people, especially those who have not been pet owners for long. However, the process of finding just the right place to live in can be efficient and painless if you have access to a competent real estate agent who has all the best listings for this specific type of property.
Pet friendly building have evolved over the past few years, as more buildings are designed to accommodate not only the needs of human residents but those of the four-legged kind as well. It may take some time to find the right condo to buy, but it will certainly be worth the wait.
By Kelsey Uh